Re: [RRG] Providers and providers

On Aug 20, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 20 aug 2008, at 16:12, Eliot Lear wrote:

If you get a single prefix but connect to the internet in 500 locations, you need to deaggregate that prefix into 500 globally visible more specifics. This result is largely the same as the situation where you don't get that single prefix in the first place, but 500 individual ones.

You said 250k, which is what got me.  500, yes.

Per organization with 500 offices. I was talking about the fortune 500, so that would be 500 x 500 = 250000.

But, for better or worse, you already have those. Those companies have already done whatever they are going to do, and will mostly make only incremental changes going forward.

By the way, my experience is that many large companies have most of their offices in their VPN, and so not every remote office needs their own PI space. It is (in my experience) the remote offices that are effectively Autonomous Systems (e.g., Singapore or Hong Kong for a US company).

Regards
Marshall