Re: [RRG] Renumbering...

|> That's confusing at best...  While you may be allocating them from
|> the same
|> number pool, an EID prefix is *not* the same as a PI address.  In
|
|No, that is confusing. From a LISP architecture point of view
|*whatever addresses are assigned at the site are EID-prefixes*, period.

I'm very sorry that you're confused.  However, for us to communicate
effectively, we need to be a bit more precise in our use of language. Yes, you are welcome to have legacy addresses at a site and to reuse the same code points in an EID namespace. I think that we all understand that's how
you want LISP to operate.

I am not confused. The list is confusing.  ;-)

However, that does not make addresses and EIDs equivalent and
interchangeable. They are still two separate namespaces. For example, at

Nope, no one is saying that.

some point, I would hope that people will be able to get an EID- prefix and have that part of an EID aggregate. That should never be injected as a
global unaggregated prefix down into underlying routing.

So, what we are coming to is:

A PI block is not an EID-prefix, but a EID-prefix is *typically* a PI block. An EID-prefix is a PI block that can be aggregatable for mapping database scalability.

Similarly, I would hope that at some point, people who request a classical
PI address are instead redirected to get an identifier, such as an
aggregateable EID prefix and directed to use our solution, such as LISP
instead.

I would like to hear what the registries say about that? I bet they would say they already are to a certain extent. And could probably be aggregated by the registry-run ALT routers.

Dino