Re: [RRG] 2 billion IP cellphones in 2103 & mass adoption of IPv6 by currentIPv4 users

On Sep 17, 2008, at 9:53 AM, Roland Dobbins wrote:

On Sep 17, 2008, at 10:35 PM, Bruce Curtis wrote:

About 11 minutes in there is a list of mobile devices that have support for IPv6, this of course doesn't address the issue of whether it's allowed to be enabled by the user on a given wireless provider's network

I can set up a mobile provider data connection on my Nokia E61i and specify either IPv4 or IPv6 (but not dual-stack), but not much else; I believe that IPv6 is supported on the WiFi interface, as well, but it is always-on, and cannot be enabled/disabled or configured by the user in any way, AFAICT.

I think the presentation also mentioned that a lot of the applications supported IPv6 which is also important but still not useful if the wireless provider does not provide IPv6.

To date, I've not encountered a mobile provider nor a hotspot operator offering or actively planning to offer IPv6 connectivity, but that's just my subjective experience; perhaps others have examples they can share. If I were to hazard a guess, it would be that IPv6 may show up in DCNs (as it has in the cable broadband access space) before it does on the production network.

This hotspot operator is providing IPv6 access for free until the end of 2008.

http://hotspot.monzoon.net/downloads/Pressetext_Hotzones_IPv6_Monzoon_E.pdf

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis@ndsu.edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University