RE: [RRG] Re: Fast and sparse mapping?

More catch up...

Brian wrote:
|I fully agree, and what I'm suggesting is that the (sad) history of
|the initial success of CIDR followed by the recent backsliding which
|I call "the PI heresy" shows us that economics will always
|tend to create
|a swamp, so we'd better engineer the system for a swamp. And
|in a swamp,
|any benefit from aggregation is both limited and unpredictable. (Would
|anybody like to predict the effect of the collapse of the US financial
|system on BGP4 aggregation two years from now?)

Do you really mean that?  Are you really suggesting that we engineer routing
for 2^48 prefixes?

|True. But that is, to use the technical term, a crap-shoot, just as
|BGP aggregation of adjoining PI prefixes is a crap-shoot. It will
|be the exception rather than the rule; that's the nature of a swamp.
|There are no natural economic forces that provide incentives for
|aggregation.

True.  The alternative is for us to remove the incentives to deaggregate (as
best we can) and then to restrict things so that people can't hurt the
system.

|So I stick to my guns: we need to map the edge-swamp into a
|significantly
|smaller core-swamp, or nothing will change. Relying on aggregation at
|the edge hasn't worked for BGP, so why should it work for any form
|of EID/RLOC mapping (regardless of terminology)?

I'd argue that if there's a core swamp, you've already failed to scale.

Tony