RE: [RRG] A data point on transit MTU size

Hi Brian,

This is in fact the very principle employed by SEAL, i.e.,
it is OK to do *outer* fragmentation even if the *inner*
packet has DF=1, because it is the ETR and not the final
destination that has to reassemble. (The final destination
therefore gets the inner packet in its original form.)

However, LISP talks about fragmenting the *inner* packet
(even if DF=1) before encapsulating as two *outer* packets,
in which case it is the final destination that gets to
reassemble. (But, the LISP ITR cannot know the size of
the final destination's reassembly buffer, nor whether
the final destination is even capable of reassembly.)

>>> Yes, you can. That is implementation dependent.
>>
>> But sub-optimal implementations risk data corruption, which could be
>> very bad.
>
>Yes, we agree that sub-optimal implementations are a bad idea.
>We also agree, I trust, that writing perfect reassembly code
>is fairly hard (although I speak from 20 year old experience).
>In particular the RFC 4459 and 4963 issues have to be handled.

But, LISP does not propose reassembly at the ETR; it
proposes reassembly at the final destination and with
no coordination from the ITR.

>I don't have an opinion whether SEAL is necessary for that, or
>whether LISP can just rely on basic frag.

Hopefully from the above it can be seen that basic frag
per the LISP spec is optimistic at best and potentially
dangerous as well.

Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com