RE: how mobile do we want to be

P.S. Chairs I believe there is consensus we are to focus on multihoming
and not mobility.  If I am correct my input is for you to shut down this
discussion and many mails that are doing nothing to further the delivery
of a multihoming solution.  But I will continue as above to discuss
interesting points raised that are clear technically and worth my tiime.
thanks

Until we have a charter passed by the IESG I believe that there is no working group per se, and the question of chair action is perhaps a little premature.

However... Speaking personally I agree with your proposition, in that I observe that this discussion has not exposed to me any new arguments that were not exhaustively covered in the multi6 stream, and I can sympathize with a perspective that the constant repetition of calls to broaden the scope of this effort is at best distracting to the shim6 effort. It's my personal view that there is merit in focussing the shim6 effort at a clean and consistent specification of the shim6 approach, and in that there is enough material in that alone to keep any working group productively engaged for a suitable amount of time.

That does not imply that the general architectural approach of splitting the semantics of an end point identifier and network-based locators does not have a rich well of topics from which to draw from. On the contrary, as many groups in the past have already discovered, there is almost an endless stream of interesting, challenging and provocative areas of consideration within this generic topic area, and there will always be folk who would like to bite off the entire space and see if some solutions can be engineered that attempt to cover the entire spectrum of potential that is offered if one can assume some level of independence of these two identification spaces. But that is not where I personally thought shim6 is headed, and to me this shim6 effort is a focussed activity that looks for a decent solution within one aspect of an admitted broader area of potential activity.

It may be that the level of interest in this split endpoint identifier network location identifier space is an indicator that the time has come that there is once more a sufficiently large pool of interested folk who may wish to resume the Name Space Research Group efforts (!) . Indeed, they may well be in a position to put a decent case to the irtf chair for the (re)formation of a research group on this topic. That possible direction for this general consideration is, once again, well beyond a sensible focus for the ietf's shim6 effort, in my view.

regards,

   Geoff