Re: shim - transport/app communication

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 13:32 -0800, Baker Fred wrote:
>On Mar 16, 2005, at 2:31 AM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> the only thing an application should depend on here is that it
>> supports IPv6 addresses
>
>If I could make a humble request here...
>
>Could we please manage to avoid the worst of the layering faults we
>committed in the IPv4 Internet? The thing that has made NAT hard and
>made applications break crossing a NAT was that the applications know
>something about addresses. Let's not do that with IPv6 applications.
>
>Applications should know about names and APIs, period. They should open
>a socket-or-whatever to a name, and accept that the service underneath
>gets them to an instantiation of it.

Full ack, please cast it in gold. Applications should of course use
getaddrinfo(), inet_ntop() and inet_pton() where needed.

I am one of the strong proponents of it and usually refer folks who ask
how to support IPv6 to Eva Castro's document:
http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/~eva/IPv6-web/ipv6.html
Or Itojun's paper at: http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19980604/

With the above I only meant that the app should minimaly be able to do
IPv6 addresses, with IPv4 most likely not supporting shim6 for this
setup. And as a consequence of 'app supporting IPv6' I also mean that
they should be using getaddrinfo().

<SNIP>
>But please-please-please can we have the applications treat that as an
>opaque character string that could just as easily contain directions to
>the donut store?

I fully agree, give me donuts be they IPv4 or IPv6 or IPv9 ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen