Re: Open question and Critical dependencies

On 29-mrt-05, at 10:18, Thierry Ernst wrote:

Unfortunately, the IETF servers (or the PSG one, in this case) don't
support IPv6 so this is not the case.

Hum, is this reasonable that an IPv6 WG doesn't even have IPv6 resources
?

No. They should fire the current secretariat and hire a dual-stack one.

Note I didn't say it would be sent with IPv6 all the way long from me to
all recipients, but it was sent using IPv6 between my laptop (I of
course use an IPv6 compliant mailer) and my mail server, which is
located 50kms from where I work.

Doesn't look that way:

(What's the deal with the psg server not trusting our domain names, anyway?)

FYI, in my office, we couldn't even get enough IPv4 addresses for
all desktop,

Strange.

Do you know how many IPv4 addresses have been allocated to each
countries in the world ?

IP addresses aren't allocated to countries. The rules are pretty much identical for each of the regional internet registries, so for new requests, there shouldn't be any difference where on earth the request is made. Of course many ISPs find it useful to create an artificial scarceness to squeeze more money out of their customers and it MIGHT be possible that in some less developed countries the RIR fees are problematic, but compared to other internet-related expenses these fees aren't exorbitant.

(we could have received more IPv4 addresses if we where willing to
renumber - which we didn't want).

Aha, there the monkey comes out of the sleeve, to use a good Dutch proverb.

Some random data points:

- of the "top 100 English language web sites" not one is reachable
over  IPv6
- of the "top 100 English language web sites" one times out for AAAA
DNS requests
- of the 213 Amsterdam Internet Exchange member's main websites, 9 are
 reachable over IPv6 (up from unknown / 4 just under a year ago)
- of the 213 Amsterdam Internet Exchange members, 59 had an IPv6
address enabled on (one of their) port(s)

Would you let us know how you were able to collect such statistics ?

Simple: fire up tcpdump -p ip6 and port 80 and then visit http://www.ams-ix.net/connected/ and start clicking. For the top 100 list I found something that I'm sure isn't the actual top 100 list but for my purposes that doesn't really matter.