Re: failure detection

On 28-aug-2005, at 22:44, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

It might very well be a useful optimization for routers to be able to express to hosts which prefixes are currently not working for going outside the site. But I think it would be a mistake to overload the preferred/deprecated notion for this purpose;

I agree that using the "preferred lifetime" for signaling that a prefix is no longer working would imply to change the meaning of the field, but wouldn't it be possible to use the "valid lifetime" (set to zero) to inform the hosts that a prefix is no longer available?

The behavior when the preferred and valid lifetimes reach 0 is already well-defined, I don't think we can (or should want to) change this.

We have to be careful to stay away from premature optimization: either and address works, or it doesn't. The reachability detection will figure it out, that's good enough for now...