Re: failure detection

marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

I agree that using the "preferred lifetime" for signaling that a prefix is no longer working would imply to change the meaning of the field, but wouldn't it be possible to use the "valid lifetime" (set to zero) to inform the hosts that a prefix is no longer available?

If you have non-shim6 hosts, then a valid lifetime set to zero might mean that they'll immediately terminate any tcp connections that use that prefix. I don't think we want to do that, because packets might start flowing again before e.g., TCP gives up.

So I think that if we are going to add an indication that a prefix isn't working, so that shim6 hosts can change the locator they use more quickly, we should add a new indication and not overload an existing one to have these semantics.

   Erik