Re: failure detection

Hi Erik,

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005, Erik Nordmark wrote:

I had one minor comment on the above.

It might very well be a useful optimization for routers to be able to express to hosts which prefixes are currently not working for going outside the site.

Yeah, probably. This wouldn't even be shim6 specific.

But I think it would be a mistake to overload the preferred/deprecated notion for this purpose; if we want to do this we can just as well add a "temporarily unavailable" bit to the prefix information options, and that way avoid confusing any hosts that are not shim6 aware.

You're the expert. :)

One thing though: from the POV of the router which wants to change RA's due to link-failure, it has no idea of how temporary the failure is. So maybe call it 'failed' instead? But that implies continuing to send RAs for the prefix.

I was envisaging that the router would simply stop sending RAs, and once the preferred time ran out, hosts would use other prefixes (if any were available).

It remains to be seen how hard it would be to provide this for a site with multiple routers. We have the router renumbering RFC, which in theory could be used to carry this from a border router to other routers in the site, but nobody is implementing this protocol AFAIK.

Maybe because no one is interested in multi-prefix IPv6 sites until solutions like shim6 are available?

So it's not clear to me whether such a mechanism would be limited to the single link site where the RAs come directly from the border router.

Hmm, I guess yes. The multi-router case and protocol for distributing external link-availibility seems a general one.

I guess an implementation could offer a facility to 'pin' RAs to a specific prefix announced in IGP. IGP withdraws route, the routers RA code either stops sending RAs for that prefix or uses the 'failed' bit?

Erik

regards, -- Paul Jakma paul@clubi.ie paul@jakma.org Key ID: 64A2FF6A Fortune: Why are you so hard to ignore?