Re: Mention TE in draft-ietf-shim6-proto-01.txt?

Hi Brian and all,

On 10/20/05, Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com> wrote:
[...]

> There's quite a lot in the draft about how preferences are communicated
> and very little about where they come from. draft-ietf-shim6-arch-00.txt
> doesn't help with this either. Somewhere, I think we need a list
> of possible sources of these preferences, and dynamic or static TE policy
> needs to be in that list.
>
> Some discussion of traffic engineering in the architecture document
> would also seem necessary.
>
>      Brian

  Here's some text, below. It could be inserted in
draft-ietf-shim6-arch-00.txt after the 'Endpoint Identity' section.

Local Policy Settings

How does a host know which locator addresses can be used, in what
circumstances and how?

A Shim6-aware host needs a set of administrative and traffic
engineering policies:

- Locator addresses that can be used interchangeably, subject to
possible further constraints.

- Restrictions for the usage of some of the locator addresses, if
needed. They can be based on the ULP or on the availability of other
(preferred) located addresses.

- Recommandations for the proportions of traffic to send from
different locator addresses.

These parameters will be used in the Shim6 capability negociations
with other Shim6-aware protocol elements.

  I hope that this is going in the right direction. :-)

Pierre.