Re: Review comments on draft-ietf-shim6-proto-03.txt

Geoff Huston wrote:
In response to your query (and Erik can correct me if I'm wrong) It is my understanding in the specification that whenever the ULID pair is used as the locator pair then the SHIM6 extension header (the context value) is omitted from the packet. This allies to the initial contact pahse, and also in any subsequent time when the SHIM selects the ULID pair as the current locator pair.

Correct. But folks have also suggested that we should allow the shim6 extension header all the time i.e., even if the receiver doesn't have to rewrite the locators. I don't see any harm in allowing this for folks that want their packets to be bigger...

i.e. it is my understanding that the packet header is simply an implicit "please perform an address substitution" instruction to the other end, and the locator pair plus the context value identifies the particular substitution to a ULID pair that the remote end should perform. If the locators are the ULID then no substitution is necessary, and no extension header is necessary.

At least thats the way I interpret the specification, and I was wondering if this should be explicitly stated in the spec.

If we allow the above, it is really "please lookup the context state and check if you need to replace the locators", but since replacing the locator pair with the identical locator pair can be still viewed as a replacement, that's just a detail.

Any ideas where such text would best belong in the specification?

   Erik