Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-shim6-applicability-01.txt

El 16/06/2006, a las 20:18, Deguang Le escribió:

According to your above definition, a host that is within a multihmed site has also multiple network interfaces. From this point of view, this situation descirbed in shim6 could also be regarded as host multihoming. right? :-)

i guess it is mostly a matter of how to define a multihomed host

we could say that we have two types of multihomed hosts:

- the "strict" multihomed host where the host has multiple physical interfaces
- the "loose" multihomed host, where the host has multiple addresses

In the first case it is pretty clear that the host multiple paths to connect to the internet, since the attachment point is different. In the second case, it may have multiple paths, not in the first hop, but afterwards, like the case of multiple ISPs assigning different prefixes to the multihomed site and using different addresses result in using different site exit paths. However, it should be noted it may be possible that having multiple addresses does not imply having multiple paths to the destiantions, (think the case of multiple RFC3041 addresses)

So, i guess that the definition of multihomed site is kind of open, and i think this provides a good flexibility when using the term, but the cost is that some confusions may arise sometimes... :-(

There are aspects of host multihoming which are not part of the shim6 specification (e.g. the choice of egress interface and next-hop router that the host uses for a particular outbound datagram). In this sense, shim6 as it stands provides an inadequate specification for host multihoming.
I think these issues that you point out(e.g. the choice of egress interface and next-hop router that the host uses for a particular outbound datagram) should also be considered in shim6 since shim6 is a host-based approach. right? :-)

not really, since the host assumes that using a different path will imply using a different ISP (not a different next hop, since there may be intermediate routers in the site)

regards, marcelo

Cheers,
Deguang

It seems to me that, for this reason, "site multihoming" is a better phrase than "host multihoming". However, given the host-centric approach that shim6 takes to site multihoming, additional text to this effect would quite possibly lend clarity to the document in question.
Thoughts?
Joe