Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-shim6-applicability-01.txt

On 16-jun-2006, at 20:03, marcelo bagnulo braun wrote:

i guess it is mostly a matter of how to define a multihomed host

we could say that we have two types of multihomed hosts:

- the "strict" multihomed host where the host has multiple physical interfaces
- the "loose" multihomed host, where the host has multiple addresses

In the first case it is pretty clear that the host multiple paths to connect to the internet, since the attachment point is different.

Actually, no. You assume that different interfaces will lead to different off-site paths. But it's also very possible that different physical interfaces are just used for redundancy towards the rest of the site, regardless of whether the site is multihomed or not. This is what I consider to be "host multihoming" although I think the current discussion shows that using this terminology isn't too fruitful. This type of host multihoming has no impact on global routing because the different addresses for the host are aggregated into a single prefix belonging to the site. (Or this all happens at the ethernet link level and there's only one IP address. With FDDI there was multihoming at the physical level, very cool.)