Re: I-D ACTION:draft-van-beijnum-shim6-suppress-header-00.txt

On 3-jul-2006, at 16:36, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

So in practice, the number of packets that are shimmed because of outages will likely be something well below 1 in 1000, say around 1 in 10,000 to 1 in 100,000.

I think that these estimates may be much too small. For example, where my house is (Fairfax County, Virginia), the local cable company Internet is severely oversubscribed mid-afternoon, and long periods (one hour or more) of 50%+ packet loss are common, which, looked at in detail are a few seconds of no packet loss followed by a few seconds of near total loss, repeated. So, if Shim6 was functional, basically every one of my packets would be shimmed every afternoon (assuming that the other providers available also have the same sort of problems).

Don't forget too that there is a filter effect likely here - the more common outages are, the more likely you are to use something like Shim6, so the sampling is not unbiased, and it is probable that Shim6 users will have higher than usual packet losses.

You're right. I'm afraid that my estimation is based too much on my operational experience, which is mainly that of living in a dense, highly organized country with not much extreme weather. One big difference between here and many other parts of the world is that here in Holland, above ground phone wiring doesn't exist except in rural areas, so the phone service and thus the ADSL service is probably a lot more reliable than in countries where they use above ground phone wiring and also have lower/higher temperatures. (Although it's pretty hot here today...)