Re: shim6 control packets coming from unkown locators

El 19/10/2007, a las 0:02, Brian E Carpenter escribió:

On 2007-10-19 06:38, Alvaro Vives Martinez wrote:

Yes, in fact, actual work seems to go in that direction but following this path we reach an almost-MIPv6 solution. The SHIM6 only approach had some advantages over MIPv6 if it does not use the rendez-vous point. A balance
among them seems to be the key.

It seems to me that to accept control packets from unknown
locators, we'd need a trust anchor of some kind - an entity
that can provide a nonce to be included in such unexpected
control packets, for example. That seems like a rendez-vous
point, even if its only job is as a trust anchor.

i don't think that is strictly the only option

I mean you could send the UPDATE message from an unknown locator, but that the unknown locator is contained also in the locator list contained in the LOCATOR message (as well as the CGA signature for this new previously unknonw locator)

So, the receiving node would need to first verify the locator list signature and if it is successfull, then accept the message, and if not discard it.

regards, marcelo

   Brian