Re: dual IP

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 05:58:08AM +0530, mpradhan@healthnet.org.np wrote:
> I want to ask one more question.
>
> I want give to some of the users POP account but limit to them only e-
> mail. How to set for this in the router?

Put your E-mail-only users in a separate IP range. Set up packet filters on
their upstream router, so that packets from their IP addresses can only be
to TCP port 25 (SMTP), TCP port 110 (POP3) and UDP port 53 (DNS).

Exactly how to do this depends on what type of equipment you have, and how
those users are connected. For example, if they are dial-in users, you
probably want to put these filters on the NAS which they dial into.

Some NASes even allow you to set up filters in RADIUS attributes, which
means you don't even need to put those users in a separate IP range.

Regards,

Brian.