RE: WG Review: IPv6 Operations (v6ops)

I don't hear that from any user in that way.  What I hear is there are several good mechanisms they like and want to apply for different reasons.

Also the one we are missing in our thinking is the user who will deploy a dominant IPv6 backbone where the only access to IPv4 is simply to reach legacy systems.  They are also the ones deploying trial Mobile IPv6 networks with Mobile IPv6 handhelds.  For them Ipv4 is to be treated as-needed basis.  They don't even want to use 6to4.  They will use ISATAP to jump-start installed base.  They will use DSTM to give out addresses in ad-hoc manner.  These folks will also spend money which is the largest hammer for any mechanism.

But the key missing point in our collective thinking is assuming this type of network for IPv6 will only happen later during IPv6 adoption.  That is plain wrong.  Many of the users of IPv6 are building new and emerging systems that will be IPv6 out of the box and the networks for first deployment.

What we need to do is flush out our assumptions on this mail list and see where we all stand.

/jim