Re: (ngtrans) I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ngtrans-mech-v2-01.txt

Erik Nordmark wrote:

I liked the suggestion of 1380 bytes for the MTU when dynamic tunnel configuration
is not used. I believe this also requires an MRU of at least 1400 bytes in the receiver,
however. Does this require any sync-up with the IPv6 node requirements draft? The
text there says:

"If Path MTU Discovery is not implemented then the sending packet size is
limited to 1280 octets ..."

That is an orthogonal issue.
An IPv6 sender that doesn't perform path MTU discovery will only send <=1280
bytes as you point out, but the IPv4 reassembly buffer size of
the receiver on a tunnel decapsulator is merely a function of how
the IPv6-in-IPv4 tunneling is done.

Yes - unless a dynamic mechanism is used.

We would like to be able to cite [MECH](bis) out of the next version of the
ISATAP draft. Do you have any timeframe for making the changes?

I'd like to get it done in a month.

This might be too late for us to get ISATAP ready for last call. We may decide to
continue to work the issue out of our document for now. But, I believe we have
sufficient flexibility around the minimum sizing to acommodate extra layers of
encapsulation, e.g., VPN.

Thanks,

Fred Templin
osprey67@yahoo.com