Re: getaddrinfo address ordering [Re: IPv6 transition architecture discussion]

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 01:06:22PM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> The OS or actually the resolver part of the OS should be able
> to be configured with an option exactly like above.

Yes, that is a good idea.

> Programs should _never_ have a preference, if they do they
> should ask for an AF_INET or AF_INET6 that's enough preference already
> :)
> I am against having the AI_PREFER4/6 as this would be too program
> specific and one needs to recompile to get it out.

I agree, we really should avoid this. I think adding even more
complexity to getaddrinfo() is a bad idea. And not only does it
take time to deploy, but it might also be hard to change the
applications later. This is really something the sysadmin should
be able to choose, there is no default that fits all.

Stig