Re: IPv6 transition architecture discussion

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >> Is there any evidence to suggest that IPv6 will some day make the move
> >> from testbed to wide deployment?
> >Yes, IPv6 is already widely deployed in research networks like WIDE,
> >6NET and Abilene. Remember how the IPv4 internet started? There are
> >also many internet exchanges that support IPv6. The commercial ISPs
> >will follow. Many have already got an IPv6 prefix from their RIR.
>
> 	IPv6 is not just in academia, also in commercial.  for instance:
> 	- 5+ ISPs in japan, more than 1 in sweden, and some other ISPs
> 	  offer commercial connectivity services
> 	- 25+ ISPs in japan offer experimental connectivity services
> 	- 50 IPv6 ASes are connected at NSPIXP6 (IPv6 IX in tokyo)
> 	- there are *at least* 1500 /48 sites in japan alone
> 	- at IIJ and WIDE we get lots of support calls/emails whenever there's
> 	  any routing issues or whatever - that means, people depends on
> 	  ipv6 network

My take is that you really can't get reliably-ish v6 outside of Far East
areas (excluding some regions with e.g. acedemic networks and some single
companies).

That's not enough as lots of traffic does not go inside these regions.

The point of no return is when _global_ v6 works, not just within
(isolated) islands + some points of interconnections.

> 	so it's a good sign.  i understand there are multiple chicken-and-egg
> 	problems (and it's irritating), but i'm sure it will get solved.

Do you consider AAAA records tried first (in some regions like US/Europe)
a problem that needs solving?