Re: Request to Publish ISATAP

Fred Templin wrote:

Itojun,

I will not go into the specifics of your message dated 12/24/02,
but would ask that you review and comment on the latest version
of the draft found at:

 http://www.geocities.com/osprey67/isatap-09.txt

I still have a problem with the DNS solution in draft-09:

  When DNS fully-qualified domain names are used, IPv4 addresses for
  the PRL and SASL are discovered through a static host file or by
  querying an IPv4-based DNS server to resolve the domain names into
  address records (e.g., DNS 'A' resource records) containing IPv4
  addresses.  Unspecified alternative methods for domain name
  resolution may also be used.  The following notes apply when DNS
  fully-qualified domain names are used:

  1.  Site administrators maintain domain names and IPv4 addresses for
      the PRL and SASL for the site's ISATAP service, e.g., as address
      records in the site's name service.  Administrators may also
      advertise the domain names in a DHCPv4 option for ISATAP.

 ==> You are making the assumption that "site's name service" and
     "site's ISATAP service" have the same topology.
     This asumption is now always valid,for example at SUN
     we have some domain names like eng.sun.com which span across
     different geographies.

I support Itojun's suggestion to drop all reference to DNS in this section.

	- Alain.