Enterprise scenario text proposal

From the minutes:
> Dave Thaler: As the slide says, enterprise scenarios document doesn't
yet
> give much help in what's required.  But Enterprises want v6 with
little
> overhead in any case.
> Jonne: not discussing enterprise today, Dave should contribute to
> Enterprise work.

To start following up on my action item, here's text I'll propose for
possible addition to the draft-savola-v6ops-tunneling-00.txt draft.
For now, I only consider "Scenario 1" (as defined in
draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-01.txt), which is making IPv6 equivalent
to IPv4.  Personally I don't consider scenario 2 (supporting only a
particular set of apps) as significantly unique to the enterprise
scenarios and as it's not in any of the other non-enterprise scenarios,
I will ignore it.  I leave scenario 3 (essentially IPv4 over native
IPv6) to others, as I don't have data on that scenario and it's not
clear to me whether it's really enterprise specific (could this arise
in 3GPP? I don't know).

+'s indicate proposed additions to the existing draft.

---
3.3 Enterprise Scenarios

   The only scenario which is obvious at the moment is when the
   enterprise wishes to deploy IPv6 without changing the gear to be
   dual-stack, without injecting IPv6 into existing VLANs, or without
   adding additional IPv6 routers in the VLANs.

+  There are three subcases of this scenario:
+
+  1. When the enterprise does not NAT between different parts
+     of the internal network.  This case is useful to separate
+     from case 2 merely because it is generally the common case,
+     where simplicity is the most highly valued.
+
+  2. When NATs exist within the enterprise network, e.g., to connect
+     branch offices to the corporate network.
+
+  3. When the enterprise internally uses multicast
applications/protocols
+     that they want to transition to IPv6.  Here the enterprise has
+     already deployed intra-domain IPv4 multicast to support this
usage.
+     As with case 1, there are no internal NATs in this case since IPv4

+     multicast itself does not cross NATs.
+
+  NAT traversal must be supported in case 2, and IPv6 multicast must
+  be supported in case 3.
+
+  The need for direct connectivity in all cases is strong due to two
+  factors:
+   * the high end-to-end bandwidth requirements for enterprise
+     applications, e.g., many clients accessing various servers,
+     such that bottlenecks occur if all traffic must be funneled
+     through one or a few tunnel endpoints;
+   * the use of collaborative applications, possibly including
+     high-bandwidth streams such as audio/video.
+
+  Finally, most enterprise networks currently lack IPv6 expertise, and
+  have a great need to keep costs low.  Hence simplicity and low
+  infrastructure costs are also required.

---

4.1 Scenarios Evaluation

                                                          +++++++++
                  NAT-T Direct ISP Secure Simple   Low    Multicast
                                                 Overhead
     Unman 1.1     *       *     N    -      -       -      -
     Unman 1.2     *       N     *   -/*     -       -      -
     Unman 2       *       -     *    -      *       -      -
     3GPP 1        N      -/*    *    -      *       *      -
     3GPP 2        N      -/*    *    -      *       *      -
+    Enterprise 1  N      -/*    *    *      *       -      -
+    Enterprise 2  *      -/*    *    -      *       -      -
+    Enterprise 3  N      -/*    *    -      *       -      *

   Legend: *  = MUST; -  = Nice to have; N  = No

+  Multicast support indicates whether the mechanism must be able
+  to support multicast traffic.

---
4.2 Mechanisms Evaluation

   One should note that we are not evaluating the specific version of
   the specification, but rather the mechanism in a more generic sense
   ("which features could this mechanism easily be made to work with?").

                                                                   +++++
            NAT-T  Direct  ISP  Secure Simple   Low   Impl.  Depl. Mcast
                                             Overhead
     Teredo  Y       Y      N      Y      N      N     R      Y     N
     ISATAP  N       Y@     Y     N/R     R      Y     Y      R?    N
     TSP     Y       N      Y?     Y      R      N     R      R?    Y?
     STEP    Y       N      Y      Y     Y/R     Y     N      N     Y?
+    L2TP    Y       N      Y      Y      N      N     Y      Y     Y
+    6to4    N       Y      N      N      Y      Y     Y      Y     N
+    6over4  N       Y      Y      R      Y      Y     Y      R     Y

     @: intra-site, no NATs in the path

   Legend: Y  = Yes; R  = Relatively good; N  = No

+  Multicast indicates whether the mechanism is able to support
+  multicast traffic.

---

-Dave