Re: I-D ACTION:draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans-00.txt

On 30 Apr 2004, Jeroen Massar wrote:
[...]
> And guess which route the "Transit" networks take. Good example was the
> "Global IPv6 Launch Event" in Brussels. Connected to Belnet, thus all
> the NREN connectivity is good. But if you wanted to reach a host in the
> Netherlands all the traffic would be routed directly over 6net ->
> Surfnet to the Commercial ISP but all the return traffic isn't accepted
> by 6net thus that was routed 'nicely' over the US...

Are you arguing that one-way short-cut is bad practice (this is going
away very soon, I think), that commercial ISP's transits/peerings are
not good enough, or that NRENs should provide full two-way transit
(like Internet2 is more or less doing)?  Note that the latter is very
questionable AUP-wise.

> This might be solved one day however when IPv6 gets more deployed and
> the routes get shorted, but this example for instance makes it quite bad
> when interacting between Commercial networks and NREN's. Notez bien that
> between Commercial networks or between the NREN's most connectivity is
> quite good actually.

This is a problem of commercial networks' lack of good transit, IMHO.