Re: I-D ACTION:draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans-00.txt

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> > FWIW, I'm concerned about methods to "optimize" poor native IPv6
> > connectivity.  We need to fix the native connectivity instead... :-/
>
> I agree, it will be much better to optimize fix native connectivity,
> but what the users does, when he doesn't know nothing about that,
> and he has, of course, no control of the visited network ?
>
> Remember that this is targeted to clients, even it could be used,
> for example, in CPE devices, assuming that is automatic, because the
> user has no technical expertise ...

Let's avoid getting to the situation where native v6 would be of very
bad quality, and John Doe would have to have systems to work around
that.

I've raised concerns about the bad present considition as well (in
draft-savola-v6ops-6bone-mess-01, now probably expired), but remember
that the ISPs aren't probably going to offer native v6 to all their
customers unless they've been sufficiently well-connected first. (The
technically knowledgeable v6 enthusiasts who are using these pilot
services aren't worth looking at here.)

I don't want to see a situation for the mainstream users where you'd
have to e.g. use tunnel server (remember, that would have to be
automatically set-up as well -- the chances of its quality are not too
high either!) to get better connectivity than native IPv6...