Re: I-D ACTION:draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans-00.txt

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 16:57, Pekka Savola wrote:

<SNIP>

> I've raised concerns about the bad present considition as well (in
> draft-savola-v6ops-6bone-mess-01, now probably expired), but remember
> that the ISPs aren't probably going to offer native v6 to all their
> customers unless they've been sufficiently well-connected first.

Your 6bone mess has expired, but in the mean time the routing has become
much better IMHO, for proof see: http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/

There is also a very good document from Robert Kiessling which is being
applied by quite a number of ISP's majorily in Europe:
http://ip6.de.easynet.net/ipv6-minimum-peering.txt

This document will be handled next week at the RIPE IPv6 WG.

> (The technically knowledgeable v6 enthusiasts who are using these
> pilot services aren't worth looking at here.)

I think I have mentioned this before, but I know of quite a lot of
people who are totally not technically knowledgable but are able to
follow a few easy steps to find their way to the honeypot.

For instance:
http://www.opurk.nl/reacties.php?commentaar=1223&onderwerp=Computers

If you where able to read dutch, though some of it is really ugly
belgian stuff, you would also notice that these people help eachother
out when it isn't all that easy. This is just one of the many forum
sites that discuss these issues btw. Having quite some interaction with
these non-tech endusers have showed me that most of them can get it
working very easily and without much problems already, thus without even
the automated discovery tools. There is no KaZaA discovery method either
now is there ? And they did hit the how many million users?

Notez bien these people are doing it so they can get connectivity to a
service that they can't reach (freely) otherwise.

> I don't want to see a situation for the mainstream users where you'd
> have to e.g. use tunnel server (remember, that would have to be
> automatically set-up as well -- the chances of its quality are not too
> high either!) to get better connectivity than native IPv6...

Native should be the defacto standard, if an ISP can't deliver a quality
internet connection then users will complain, especially when they pay.

As for Tunnel Servers, that is a Transition method, thus they should go
away at one point... sooner or later.

Greets,
 Jeroen