Re: I-D ACTION:draft-palet-v6ops-auto-trans-00.txt

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 16:52, Pekka Savola wrote:
> On 30 Apr 2004, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> [...]
> > And guess which route the "Transit" networks take. Good example was the
> > "Global IPv6 Launch Event" in Brussels. Connected to Belnet, thus all
> > the NREN connectivity is good. But if you wanted to reach a host in the
> > Netherlands all the traffic would be routed directly over 6net ->
> > Surfnet to the Commercial ISP but all the return traffic isn't accepted
> > by 6net thus that was routed 'nicely' over the US...
>
> Are you arguing that one-way short-cut is bad practice (this is going
> away very soon, I think), that commercial ISP's transits/peerings are
> not good enough, or that NRENs should provide full two-way transit
> (like Internet2 is more or less doing)?  Note that the latter is very
> questionable AUP-wise.

I mean the latter indeed and it is a bit of a policy decision. The
NREN's do announce the commercial routes they learn for each other and
use the backpath to the commercial ISP's but they don't re-announce
eachothers networks. I hope they clear it up one time, until that time
I'll keep a couple of tunnels handy just in case ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen