Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-02.txt

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Tim Chown wrote:
> I believe this is ready.
>
> Alain's point is valid, but I don't believe changes would impact the
> usefulness of the draft as is.   If section 4 were removed a requirement
> subsection would be needed in section 5 to state that legacy interworking
> is required for four main modes:
>
> a) dual-stack <-> v4 or v6 only
> b) v4 only <-> v6 only
> c) v4 <-> v4 over v6 infrastructure
> d) v6 <-> v6 over v4 infrastructure

Isn't this a list of all the possible combinations?

The point here is, do we need to care for all of these combinations?
For example, in the unmanaged networks, b) was considered out of
scope, and that's also recommended against in the 3GPP.  c) is also
something that I'm not sure there is yet consensus whether this is a
reasonable approach at this point.

One goal of the scenarios/analysis work is to try to identify the
actual, critical, mainstream scenarios which call of certain kind of
interworking or mechanisms.  I think at least a) or d) fulfill these
criteria, but b) and c) might be so-and-so, depending on how you
phrase it and which kind of techniques one might have in mind
applying..