RE: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-scenarios-02.txt

Hi

Thanks for the review. Comments in-line.

Yanick

[YP] I agree with Richard Graveman to keep this example. Please send
you're your comments.

> I also thought that section 4 could possibly be removed at this point.

> If it wouldn't be, there are a few clarifications I have scribbed up,
> omitting them now..

[YP] We all agree

> substantial:
> ------------
>
> [Network Infrastructure Component 1, sect 3.2]
>     Enterprise Provider Requirements
>        - One site vs. multiple sites?
>
> ==> do you refer to _geographical_ sites here, or something else
> (e.g., in the multi6 WG sense)?  Maybe add 'geographical' here?

[YP] ok

>        - Leased lines or VPN?
>
> ==> spell out, e.g. to:
>
>        - If multiple sites, how is the traffic exchanged securely
between
>          them?
>        - What is the IPv6 address assignment plan available
>          from the provider?
>
> ==> this should possibly be spelled out a bit, like:
>
>        - Do the provider(s) delegate a stable /48 prefix?
>          Does the enterprise need more?

[YP] ok

>        - Will clients be Multihomed?
>
> ==> 'clients'?  Spell out a bit, maybe like:
>
>        - Is the enterprise multihomed?  Which multihoming techniques
are
>          supported by the Service provider?

[YP] ok

>        - Is there an external data-center?
>
> ==> I think this needs to be spelled out a bit.  Did you mean like:
>
>        - Would some enterprise server(s) be housed in the service
>          providers' data centers?

[YP] ok

> ==> add an additional requirement, like:
>
>        - Is IPv6 available using the same access links as IPv4,
>          or differently?

[YP] ok

>    [Network Infrastructure Component 2]
>
> ==> add a couple of requirements, like:
>
>        - Are applications only run in the internal networks?

[YP] ok

>        - Are ALGs or proxies being used for some applications?
>          Would using such be feasible?
>        - Are there applications which cannot be proxied or
>          upgraded to support IPv6?

[YP] I think we have this already covered.

>    [Network Infrastructure Component 3]
>
>       - Is a Tele-commuter work force supported?
>
> ==> reword to be more generic, maybe like:
>
>       - Is working remotely (e.g., through VPNs) supported?

[YP] ok

>        - Is inter-site communications required?
>
> ==> I don't quite understand this requirement, because I fail to see
_any_
> scenario where you wouldn't need to communicate between sites?  Could
you
> clarify?

[YP] The enterprise may want to deploy IPv6 within a single site.

>        - Is network mobility used or required for IPv6?
>
> ==> This requirement seems to need a bit more spelling out, as it
isn't
> 100%
> obvious what you're referring to (MIPv6 vs NEMO?), what's the usage
case?

>        - What are the requirements of the IPv6 address plan?
>
> ==> maybe add a couple of clarifying points here:
>
>        - Is there a detailed asset management database, including
hosts,
>          IP/MAC addresses, etc.?
>        - What is the enterprise' approach to numbering geographically
>          separate sites which have their own Service Providers?

[YP] ok - may be

>       - What will be the IPv6 Security policy/procedure?
>
> ==> there should probably be a bit more on this..? maybe at least
like:

>       - Are separate or same firewalls, IDS systems, etc. used for
IPv6?
>         Which part of the traffic is encrypted using IPsec and how?

[YP] your clarifications are useful but do we need to be that specific?

>   Network Infrastructure Component 4
>     Enterprise Network Management System
>        - Performance Management Required?
>        - Network Management Applications Required?
>        - Configuration Management Required?
>        - Policy Management and Enforcement Required?
>        - Security Management Required?
>        - Management of Transition Tools and Mechanisms?
>
> ==> these should probably be spelled out a bit more, because at least
> didn't have much idea what all of these included?
>
> [Example Network A, sect 3.3]
>
>      - ISP does not offer IPv6 service.
>      - Private Leased Lines no Service Provider Used
>
> ==> is the first really often the case?  If you're a suffiently big
> enterprise, I think at least in Europe there are already quite a few
ISPs
> willing to give you service. (note: s/ISP does/ISPs do/ .. as it has
> multiple ISPs?)

[YP] yes it is the case. We have a lot of enterprises out there which
are far behind with regard to internet revolution.

> ==> I don't quite understand the second bullet point?  do you mean
that
> the
> site has just one ISP, and the rest are connected using leased lines
> the
> "primary" ISP, and they don't have a direct connectivity at all?
>
> I'm not sure if this is any longer the "mainstream" scenario, because
the
> net traffic is probably so high that the enterprises don't want to pay
> $$$$
> for transporting all their traffic to their HQ using leased lines, but
> throw it out to their ISP immediately (and tunnel internal traffic
with
> VPNs, or leased lines).

[YP] I don't agree. Yes this is a cost issue hence why they are looking
at deploying IPv6 as a replacement solution.

>      - All routers and switches are upgradeable to IPv6.
>      - Existing firewalls can be upgraded to support IPv6 rules.
>
> ==> are these mainstream scenarios?  What does a switch's IPv6 upgrade
> mean
> (is it L3 switch? or management functions?)
>
>      - IPv4 Private address space is used within the enterprise.
>
> ==> the enterprise already had PI space (from the above), but still
uses
> private address space internally -- any particular reason why?
>

>   DNS will now have to support both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS records and the
>    enterprise will need to determine how the DNS is to be managed and
>    accessed, and secured.  The range of DNS operational issues are out
>    of scope for this work. [...]
>
> ==> here, it would be good to refer to
> draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-07.txt, and possibly add at the end
> something like:

[YP] ok

>   These operations include at least:
>     - configuring IPv6 DNS servers as resolvers on IPv6(-only) hosts,
>     - selecting a method to insert AAAA/PTR records in the DNS,
>     - managing the DDNS reverse/forward updates processes, if used,
>     - providing IPv6 transport capability in the recursive internal
>       DNS servers, and
>     - managing the IPv6 capability in the authoritative servers, and
>       configuring the AAAA records at the delegator of the DNS zones.

>    The choice of interior routing protocols have an impact on how the
>    routing tables will be handled: some such as OSPF will have the
>    ships-in-the-night paradigm, others such as ISIS are integrated.
This
>    has an impact on the topology and the management of the network.
>
> ==> I don't really understand what you mean with the sentence about
OSPF
> vs
> ISIS.  Do you mean that w/ OSPF you'd use separately OSPFv2 and
OSPFv3,
> and with IS-IS just one process?
>
> Note that this discussion could probably be just a summary of
> draft-ietf-v6ops-isp-scenarios-analysis-02.txt section 4.3.1 and the
> Appendix A. (We should refer to that document here at least.)
>
>    IPv6 capable routers should be monitored to ensure the router has
>    sufficient storage for both IPv6 and IPv4 route tables.  Existing
>    network design principles to limit the number of routes in the
>    network, such as prefix aggregation, become more critical with the
>    addition of IPv6 to an existing IPv4 network.
>
> ==> I do not think monitoring the routers for sufficient v4/v6 route
> table storage is an operationally important issue, clearly not more
son
> than
> monitoring v4 route tables today, at least.  Maybe just remove this
first
> sentence or even the whole paragraph.

[YP] Exactly the point is you need to do the same. I think we should
keep the paragraph as is.

> ==> maybe add at the end add something like:
>
>   Decisions wrt. routing include at least:
>    - whether IPv4 and IPv6 routing topologies will be different,
>      affecting the decision on which routing protocols to use,
>    - how redundancy is ensured if tunneling is used, and
>    - which tools are to be used to monitor the IPv6 infrastructure.

[YP] ok

> 5.3  Autoconfiguration
>
>    IPv6 introduces the concept of stateless autoconfiguration in
>    addition to stateful autoconfiguration.  The enterprise will have
>    determine the best method of autoconfiguration, for their network.
>    The enterprise will need to determine if they are to use stateless
or
>    stateful autoconfiguration, and how autoconfiguration is to operate
>    for DNS updates.  The enterprise will need to determine how prefix
>    delegation is done from their upstream provider and how those
>    prefixes are cascaded down to the enterprise IPv6 network.  The
>    policy for DNS or choice of autoconfiguration is out of scope for
>    this document.
>
> ==> this section should probably be generalized to be something like
> 'Configuration of Hosts [or: .. of Infrastructure and Hosts]'
> (and generalize the autoconfiguration a bit more
> in the rest of the paragraph as well)

[YP] ok

> ==> remove ", for their network", as everything is done for their
network
> in
> any case.
> ==> dynamic prefix delegation inside the enterprise may not be a
really
> feasible option, but in any case,  I'd probably add something like:
> "; the choices are to do this manually, or using a dynamic protocol"
> to better spell it out.
> ==> One might consider adding at the end something on whether an asset
> management database is being used, and the choices for configuring
other
> information on the hosts (e.g., DNS servers, proxy servers, etc.etc.).

[YP] We will try to rework this

> 5.4  Security
>
>    Current existing mechanisms used for IPv4 to provide security need
>    be supported for IPv6 within the enterprise.  IPv6 should create no
> *  new security concerns for IPv4.  The entire security infrastructure
> *  currently used in the enterprise needs to be analyzed against IPv6
> *  deployment effect and determine what is supported in IPv6.  Users
>    should review other security IPv6 network infrastructure work in
the
> *  IETF and within the industry on going at this time.  Users will
have
> *  to work with their platform and software providers to determine
what
> *  IPv6 security network infrastructure components are supported. The
>    security filters and firewall requirments for IPv6 need to be
>    determined by the enterprise. The policy choice of users for
security
>    is out of scope for this document.
>
> ==> there is considerable overlap with two sentences above, marked
with
> '*'.
> I suggest removing one of them and expanding the other slightly.
>
> ==> you should probably refer to some security documents here, e.g.,
> draft-savola-v6ops-security-overview-02.txt
>
> ==> add at the end maybe something like:
>
>    At the very least, one has to consider for example:
>      - whether the same access control/IDS policies are to be used for
>        IPv6 as with IPv4, and whether these are to be handled by the
>        same or different equipment/software,
>      - how keying and/or certificates are managed,
>      - how VPNs are controlled,
>      - whether RFC3041 temporary addresses are to be used and to
>        what extent if so,
>      - whether there are to be internal access control points, and
>      - if tunneling techniques are used, how this affects the site
>        security, and how site must be secured to make tunneling
secure.

[YP] ok

> 5.6  Network Management
>

>    The addition of IPv6 network infrastructure components will need to
>    be managed by the enterprise network operations center.  Users will
>    need to work with their network management platform providers to
>    determine what for IPv6 is supported during their planning for IPv6
>    adoption, and what tools are available in the market to monitor the
>    network.
>
> ==> remove 'in the market' -- appears redundant here?
> ==> maybe add something like:
>
>    At least, one should consider:
>     - whether IPv6-capable devices can be managed or monitored using
>       IPv4, and what must be done if that is not possible, and
>     - how IPv6 infrastructures are being monitored?
>

> 5.7  Address Planning
>
>    The address space within the enterprise will need to be defined and
>    coordinated with the routing topology of the enterprise network.
It
>    is also important to identify the pool of IPv4 address space
>    available to the enterprise to assist with IPv6 transition methods.
>
> ==> I don't think the "pool of IPv4 address space" is all that
> relevant consideration here, as it hints at the use of IPv6-only
> infrastructures, NAT-PT, and the like.

[YP] don't agree. The availability of IPv4 address space will trigger
the choice of deployment techniques. It is very relevant.

> ==> in any case, I think there is one thing that should be explicitly
> called
> out: Whether the site wants to consider whether this new kind of local
> addressing is used for v6 or not.

[YP] ok

>    For inter-domain use, sites may choose to migrate IPv4 multicast
>    applications to SSM, for which no reverse path discovery method is
>    required.
>
> ==> ", for ..." part is incorrect and out of context, replace with
> something
> like: ", which simplifies the multicast architecture, but requires
that
> the
> applications specify the multicast transmission source(s).
>
> ==> Maybe add a new paragraph:
>
>    The enterprises also need to consider whether IGMP/MLD snooping or
>    similar solutions to reduce the multicast flooding is
>    required: this may be especially important if the subnets are
large,
>    or multicast is used extensively.
>
> 5.9 Multihoming
>

>    At this time, current IPv6 allocation policies are mandating the
>    allocation of IPv6 address space from the upstream provider. If an
>    enterprise is multihomed, the enterprise will have to determine how
>    they wish to support multihoming.  This also is an area of study
>    within the IETF and work in progress.
>
> ==> I think it would be appropriate to describe RFC3178 model of
> multihoming
> very briefly, e.g., like in section 5.6 in
> draft-ietf-v6ops-isp-scenarios-analysis-02.txt

[YP] ok

> 7.  References
> 7.1  Normative References
>
>    None at this time.
> [...]
>
> ==> please add a lot more explicit informative / normative references
> the
> subject which were discussed.

[YP] ok

> semi-editorial
> --------------
>
> [Scenario 2 in sect 3.1]
>     Scenario 2: Enterprise with an existing IPv4 network wants to
deploy a
>                 set of particular IPv6 "applications" (application is
>                 voluntarily loosely defined here, e.g. peer to peer).
>                 The IPv6 deployment is limited to the minimum required
>                 operate this set of applications.
>
> ==> I don't think it's good to say "minimum" here, because there is no
> reason to restrict it to the absolute minimum required.  The point
here is
> just that v6 deployment doesn't need to be _larger_ than required to
> operate
> the set of applications.
>
> Maybe reword: s/is limited to/does not need to be more extensive than/

[YP] ok

> editorial
> ---------
>
> IPv6 Enterprise Network Scenarios
>
> ==> maybe rename to something like 'Enterprise Networks IPv6
Transition
> Scenarios' to be more in line with the rest of the document?
>
>    Enterprise Network    - A network that has multiple internal links,
>                            one or more router connections, to one or
> more
>                            Providers and is actively managed by a
> network
>                            operations entity.
>
> ==> align the text for those lines which were broken to multiple lines
> by originally too many chars/line? (same also later)
>
>    Provider              - An entity that provides services and
>                            connectivity to the Internet or
>                            other private external networks for the
>                            enterprise network.
>
> ==> isn't 'Provider' a slightly too terse (and ambiguous) term?
> Maybe 'Service Provider' or abbreviated SP if necessary, instead?
>
>    IPv6 only             - A node or network capable of supporting
only
>                            IPv6.  This does not imply an IPv6 only
>                            stack, in this document.
>
> ==> the last sentence should probably be reworded to be clearer.  Did
you
> mean something like:
>                                   In the context of this document, a
>                            dual-stack node which has disabled IPv4 is
>                            considered IPv6 only.
>
> 3.2  Scenarios Network Infrastructure Components
>
> ==> reword to: 'Network Infrastructure Components for Scenarios' ?
>
>           - Are the nodes moving within the enterprise network?
>            - Are the nodes moving outside and inside the enterprise
>              network?
>
> ==> these should probably be shifted left about 3-4 spaces?
>
>      - The DHCP server to update naming records for dynamic desktops
> uses
>
> ==> reword maybe to:
>
>      - The DHCP server updates the DNS records for dynamic desktops
>        with DDNS.
>
> Document Acknowledgments
>
> ==> s/Document //
>
> Authors-Design Team Contact Information
>
> ==> maybe reword to "Authors' Addresses" as it's the regular format?
>
> ==> this is pretty long.  Two possibilities to summarize this a bit:
>  a) add an "Editor's Address" section, with just Jim's contact info,
in
> full; Keep "Authors' Addresses" section for the rest, but mention only
> names, affiliations and the email addresses.
>  b) just take out other info for the non-editors as names,
affiliations
> and
> email addresses.
>

> --