Re: [tcpm] TCP, DCCP, v6, and ICMP soft errors [draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault-01]

I think at this point we have to agree to disagree and, if this issue is considered important, get other opinions on it.

The best kernel APIs provide mechanism, not policy, since policy changes and different apps want different policies. In my opinion draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors codifies for all apps a policy that, if implemented, may/will reduce user-visible network connectivity. Therefore it should not be accepted; a new draft should provide a "mechanism" for implementing the soft-error behavior you need, discuss how to use that mechanism, and also potentially talk about a higher-level, library API that DTRT by default.

Also, talking about "default behavior" and ease of app construction is a little disingenuous since there's no real installed base. Only apps that implement address cycling need the new behavior; this is a small set. Apps that don't cycle addresses: now there's an installed base.

If anyone had practical data on Destination Unreachable errors -- in particular, how transient they tend to be for today's hosts -- this would be a great time to speak up. If Dest. Unreachable is frequently transient, that strengthens my case. If it's very infrequently transient, that strengthens draft-gont-tcpm-tcp-soft-errors.

Thanks,
Eddie