RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-aoun-v6ops-natpt-deprecate-00.txt

I agree with Tim below and key point Elwyn made regarding stifling IPv6
deployment.  NAT-PT should be deprecated and SIIT should be left as tool
to build translation when no other choice is possible.

Lets also be clear about proxies to they are a performance nightmare
worse than NAT and will not solve the E2E security trust problem, when
IPsec is used, unless a decrypt engine is supported on the inbound and
encrypt engine on the outbound.  I can get into more technical details
if we must but I think that should be clear.  Proxies should also not be
elevated as a solution for IPv6 either I detest them as bas as NAT.

But, a use case is as follows:

Premise 1:
Embedded hardware system cannot be upgraded to be IPv6 capable, which
means can support a dual stack.  Reasons could be it uses ASIC IP stack
technology, or the download software or firmware simply cannot add a new
stack to create an IPv6 capable node.

Premise 2:
The network function or applicability to the user provided by the IPv4
legacy system is absolutely required for operations and must be
supported as legacy system.

Premise 3:
The new IPv6 capable systems simply have no more IPv4 addresses to
communicate with the legacy IPv4 system above.

Premise 4:
The new IPv6 capable systems network simply is unable to receive IPv4
packets from any legacy system.

/jim