RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-aoun-v6ops-natpt-deprecate-00.txt

At 10:16 AM 10/10/2004 +0200, Elwyn Davies wrote:

Three points:
- The object of the draft was to summarize in one place all the problems with NAT-PT rather than being yet another delta on previous work.  The introduction notes that several of the points are indeed generic address translation problems.  This doesn't make them any less relevant.

I am fine with summarizing the issues in one draft. But the draft points out those as reasons to deprecate
which is what I am pointing out.

- The draft is specifically targeting the NAT-PT = SIIT + DNS-ALG solution intended for use as a generic inter-cloud translator.  It is clear to me that a 'cut down' form has a use as a legacy v4 'server adaptor' front end where there is only one v4 address (or maybe a server cluster) on one side, it only has to handle a pre-defined set of protocols, and it doesn't need a DNS-ALG.  I think this should be the subject of a separate draft.

While I agree with you the cut-down solution does not need a DNS-ALG, I don't think it has to handle a
specific set of protocols. I could still be a generic purpose translator for facilitating transition. I am attaching
a document which was one of the use case scenario we are aware of.

- The fundamental point is whether v6ops should still be continuing to support a technology which will, if widely deployed, effectively stifle innovation in v6 networks.  The need for applications to be aware that NAT-PT exists effectively condemns v6 to be just v4 with larger addresses at the application level. Is this what is wanted? Or should we really be trying to put the architectural flexibility back into the Internet?

I am not understanding why you say applications have to aware of existence of NAT-PT.

It would be useful to see Shivkumar's use cases so that they could be considered for inclusion in the relevant transition analysis.  If people are using NAT-PT in a particular way then we need to give them a workable alternative before ditching NAT-PT.

Exactly. We should not prematurely deprecate the solution without an alternative in place.

Thnks
Senthil

Regards,
Elwyn