Re: Draft on ISP broad-band deployment scenarios

Thanks for your feedback Gert.

We are working on the second version of our draft and integrating all the feedback we have received.

Regards,
Salman

At 06:48 PM 10/7/2004 +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

answering a specific bit out of this...

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 10:32:22AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > This is true but we have observed many of the BB ISPs are interested in
> > deploying native IPv6, driven by new services such as VoD using Multicast
> > and etc. Some of the examples for these BB ISPs, who are deploying IPv6
> > are NTT in Japan, Spacenet in Germany, Dolphin in Switzerland, Nerim in
> > France, XS4ALL in The Netherlands and etc.
>
> Sure. But do these ISPs use a link-layer which supports multicast,
> e.g., bridged-mode DSL (I think it does..)?
>
> That is, if you do something like L2TPoE (which I think many are
> doing), doesn't that require that multicast transmission be
> duplicated (on a lower layer) in any case, causing equal amount of
> traffic as a tunneling based distribution?

Our (SpaceNet's) DSL stuff is either PPPoE/L2TP based or ATM-PVC-based
(bridged or routed mode).

Neither has native support for Multicast (in the sense of "the network
duplicates the packets"), so the benefits of multicasts are only
in the uplink towards the DSL aggregation routers, and possibly if
multiple users behind the same DSL line (small offices) are receiving
the same multicast data stream.

[..]
> Extra investment is always possible, and many will certainly do it.
> The question is just how the ISPs would transition from "v4-only" to
> "v4+v6 natively". My argument is that it would be easier for the ISPs
> to start with tunneling and native v6 where possible, than to require
> through-out upgrade to native v6.

Full ACK here. Some parts are just hard/expensive to get v6 on,
while others can be done fairly easily. So you end up tunneling
around those "difficult" bits, even if the rest of the network is
already native.

Gert Doering
       -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations: 66629 (65398)

SpaceNet AG                Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14  Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen             Fax : +49-89-32356-299