Re: REVIEW NEEDED: draft-ietf-v6ops-ent-analysis-00.txt

At 05:03 PM 10/25/2004 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Thanks Tim, just one follow-up
> > Why use 6to4 or a broker for a large enterprise when a specific tunnel
> > can be set up?
>
> Indeed, that is better if possible. But with a disobliging ISP, it
> might not be possible.

I'm not sure if I understand your comment. Even if your own ISP would
not be willing to set up a configured v6-in-v4 tunnel, there could be
some other ISPs (for example, the ones for whom the enterprise pays
for this :), which is willing to set up a configured v6-in-v4 tunnel.

Yes, this takes some effort from the enterprise, but if enterprise is
doing anything with IPv6 except testing it out, that seems like the
only manageable alternative, with some guarantee of actually working
reliably.

So, IMHO, enterprises can certainly test IPv6 using 6to4, but I don't
think it would be a good idea to recommend it for much more than that.

Right.  This was one of the main idea of using 6to4 while testing it among several enterprise campuses and using a 2002 followed by global IPv4 address (forming a fake global IPv6 address).  So, if the the enterprise did not get a a chance to get a real IPv6 address, they can just use 6to4 tunneling address and test things out among several sites and also connect to IPv6 Internet by using a 6to4 Relay.

But, if the enterprise planning to move to the next step, then they should plan of getting a real global IPv6 address (2001:).

Regards,
Salman

--
Pekka Savola                "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                   kingdom bleeds."