Re: Next steps

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 03:33:15PM -0500, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

> For instance, I think that we could do some valuable work studying
> the security implications of running a dual-stack enterprise network
> and documenting some operational best practices for that type of
> deployment.

I think this is a very important one.  It's something we're doing very
actively at my site, looking at firewalling, IDS, transition and many other
aspects.   We have IPv6 pervasively on the wire, and many services enabled,
and issues do frequently get thrown up.   It's a big area, indeed you could
argue that IPv6 Enterprise transition could be a WG of its own(!) with
everything there is to cover.

It's also important to push out what we can to existing WGs to get v6
considered (not to the point of a "IPv6 Considerations" in every I-D of
course) but the wider the coverage the better we're placed, I feel.

> I'd also like to see us engage some the early IPv6 ISP-type operators
> (Japanese ISPs, the 6Net folks, Internet 2, etc.) and discuss their
> experiences, particularly an operational problems that they have
> experienced.

So what specifically do you want to know?   In the case of 6NET it has
8 months to run, and thus any guidance for documentation would be welcome,
beit from the NREN/ISP perspective or the university/enterprise.  What do
you want to see?

Tim