Re: Comments: draft-suryanarayanan-v6ops-zeroconf-reqs-01.txt

Hi,

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Bound, Jim wrote:
http://www.v6ops.euro6ix.net/ietf/draft-suryanarayanan-v6ops-zeroconf-re
qs-01.txt

It seems to be that this zerconf spec, 3gpp zerconf spec, and assisted
tunneling spec have many common properties and could we reduce this to
just one spec?

Yes, they certainly share a number of common properties.

However, the problem spaces they're covering seem to be slightly different.

In particular, the assisted tunneling assumes explicit user registration, which typically maps to providing the service to pre-agreed (registered) third parties or as a VPN-like service (without encryption). Registered mode can of course also be used in a scenario where registration is not really necessary. If you will, one could imagine non-anonymous-mode TSP as an instance of this model.

Now, the explicit goal of both zero-conf documents is to avoid registration, and to provide just a simple, very easy way to obtain connectivity, without the bells and whistles. One could consider ISATAP run inside an enterprise an example of this kind of solution, or a simplified, anonymous-mode, TSP-like solution.

Hence, there is IMHO some value in keeping these separate even though there is overlap. On the other hand, I personally think that the documents do not currently describe sufficiently clearly what I wrote above, so a reader unfamiliar with the work is unlikely to see much difference there at least at first.

That said, if folks think more consolidation is good, to eliminate overlap and make it more concise, yes, that's a possibility -- please speak up. This comes with the expense of blurring the (special, and conflicting) requirements of different scenarios, though. Not an easy tradeoff.

(We actually tried to start with this project as one spec -- draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-00 intended to cover all the cases, but 3GPP folks wanted to separately clearly describe their own requirements, and then generalized case of 3GPP was also put in a separate document. So, I guess this argues that there was attempt at doing just one document, and it didn't quite work out due to differences in requirements esp. from 3GPP..)