Re: Comments: draft-nielsen-v6ops-3GPP-zeroconf-goals-00.txt

Jim,

I'm not sure to catch your point here, but the idea is to cover only the
situation when this tunneling is done within the 3GPP provider itself.

In that case, even if there are private addresses (and even NAT) proto-41 is
forwarded, so is possible to tunnel 6in4 w/o any trouble.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: "Bound, Jim" <jim.bound@hp.com>
> Responder a: owner-v6ops@ops.ietf.org
> Fecha: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:23:55 -0500
> Para: <v6ops@ops.ietf.org>
> Asunto: Comments: draft-nielsen-v6ops-3GPP-zeroconf-goals-00.txt
>
> The spec once it speaks about tunneling is all over the place saying it
> can support private addresses, NATs etc.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nielsen-v6ops-3GPP-zeroconf-go
> als-00.txt
>
> I think some of this is just impossible for mobility.  A real case in
> S.E. Asia right now looking at 3G IPv6 deployment has the following
> problem.  Mobile (seamless) nodes will use native IPv6 and IPv4 to get
> to legacy apps that have not been ported to IPv6.  In this case the
> problem is that public IPv4 addresses are needed.  But we know all that
> and we must address that case.  The other case is that to get to the IMS
> networks first you havce to tunnel the packet through IPv4 network to
> IMS IPv6 network.  This is not going to work with NAT when the user is
> roaming.  So I don't see why the spec does not say this.
>
> Hence, my first input to this spec (and I do believe it should be WG
> item) is that we will need to discuss deployment profiles for mobility
> and more of enterprise nature than 3GPP nature.
>
> Thanks
> /jim

Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit
Presentations and videos on line at: