Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-00.txt <PROXIES>

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I agree with Mark. There is nothing specific to IPv6 about proxies;
they work equally well for IPv4. As a matter of fact a proxy
can be a very useful v4/v6 coexistence tool. I prefer that they
should be mentioned in a few words in the NAP draft, but nothing
more.

There are actually enterprises (v4) today that do not allow any communication between "inside" and "outside" except using explicitly defined proxies. (E.g., maybe just HTTP(S), nothing more).

That is, especially in strictly controlled environments where the nodes actually don't have global v6 addresses or wouldn't use them, using proxies might fulfill the topology hiding (and maybe other) perceived requirements.

In any case, proxies become a necessity when ULAs are used. The situation differs because in v4 you can use NAT ("implicit proxy") instead.

These issues might warrant some amount of discussion, especially if (IETF) work needs to happen on how the client machines are configured to use the right proxies.