RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-bb-deployment-scenarios(if DHCP-PD server is not the first router outside of the customer premises??)

Hello Tiago,

The document discussed the options available today and points out gaps
that should be further addressed in other work. Solutions to the DHCP-PD
problem are being worked on and snooping is one of them.

Regarding the text comment, I think it is just a matter of context and
terminology. In the context and terminology of the three models
described, the Edge router is the Layer 3 next hop for the customers. In
the LAA model for example there are indeed multiple routers between the
first (access) router and the Edge Router but all of them transport the
customer traffic encapsulated and do not handle it at Layer 3. Despite
all these routers (that are part of the NAP infrastructure), as far as
the customer is concerned, its Layer 3 next hop is the Edge Router.

In the case of a snooping based implementation, only customer's Layer 3
first hop router (be it the IP enabled DSLAM, the BRAS or the ER
depending on the service model) will have to support the snooping
feature. This router has to learn from the snooped DHCP packets what
static routes it should install for the prefixes that were delegated to
the customer connected to it (directly on an interface or virtually over
PPPoE+L2TP for example), the rest of the network will learn from this
router (through the redistribution of the static routes in a IGP) how to
get to the delegated prefixes.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best Regards,
Chip