Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-addcon-03.txt ... ULAs of shorter-than-/48 and ULA multicast scope matching ...

On 2007-03-26 14:35, Tim Chown wrote:
The question here is what text should we put in the addon draft?  We
would like to have some text for three cases:

a) Site has multiple /48 prefixes (e.g. a /44) and wishes to use ULAs
b) Site has one /48 and wishes to use ULAs c) Site has a less-than-/48 prefix (e.g. a /56 or /64) and wishes to use ULAs

For a) the discussion was whether to pick 16 'random' /48 ULA prefixes or
to pick one ULA prefix using 36 random bits rather than 40.

I would recommend the first as being strictly conformant
to the spec, but observe that the second does not create
architectural issues.

For b) I think we have no issue :)

For c) does the site use a random 48-bit ULA prefix with 0's to the actual
network boundary, or does it minimise collision likelihood (in particular for
cases of network merger or overlap) by randomising the bits to the network boundary?

Architecturally, it doesn't matter. The collision issue seems
negligible to me. So I think it *really* doesn't matter. I think
I would just use zeros.

The simplest text is to use fixed /48 ULAs in all cases.   The text could
describe the above three cases and state that conclusion and note briefly
the tradeoffs.

+1

    Brian