Re: IPv6-PMP?

On Apr 12, 2007, at 19:08, Thomas Narten wrote:

As much as I am no fan of NAT, NAT is made even worse by the lack of standards and predictability in what has been deployed.

Will we see the same with firewalls? This is an important question, given that a premise of IPv6 is to restore end-to-end addressing. We won't see that if firewalls effectively block all inbound connections by default.

End-to-end addressing isn't going away unless the various open threats of IPv6 NAT get more traction, which I don't yet see happening. (At the moment, I can only think of one compelling reason to implement IPv6 NAT, and I don't consider it a particularly big threat because I don't see it actually destroying end-to-end addressing. It will happen, though. In fact, it's on my medium-term list of things to do, mainly because otherwise I don't have a good mechanism for redirecting IPv6 flows into application layer gateways.)

I think it's reasonable to expect that if IETF doesn't produce a standard for endpoint nodes to signal routers (any of which may or may not be comprised of stateful packet filters) of their expectation to receive incoming flow initiations, then Apple will probably decide to implement something non-standard, of its own invention, and ship it without waiting for the blessings of IETF. It's not like we haven't done that before. In the IPv4/NAT case, the behavior we need today is implemented by NAT-PMP (and UPnP IGD), and now we need something like it for IPv6.

NAT-PMP was always intended to be a transition mechanism until IPv6 could replace it. IPv6 cannot replace IPv4/NAT until this deficiency is remedied. Whatever mechanism is developed to address this problem will be-- no joke-- with us for the next thousand years, so we obviously think a naïve adaptation of NAT-PMP to IPv6 would be suboptimal.

Alas, however, if that's what gets the problem solved...

--
j h woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>