Re: CPE equipments and stateful filters

On 24-jul-2007, at 13:18, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:

That may very well be, but if you have a firewall and/or NAT device,
NOT having something that can punch holes means you pretty much never
get to talk to anyone else in the same situation, so no peer to peer
applications, IM, voice/video chat... So either kill the firewall or
live with the complexity.

	as i mentioned before, i do not have any kind of firewall in my home.

Neither do I (and there doesn't seem to be one between the IETF network and the rest of the world, either) but that's not really the point, apparently, we now have consensus that a firewall is needed for residential use but these people want to do peer-to-peer and run servers so we need the hole punching.

If you can formulate an argument powerful enough to convince the rest of the world that firewalls aren't needed, this would be the moment to do it...

http://nvd.nist.gov/nvd.cfm?cvename=CVE-2007-1338