Re: [BEHAVE] Re: CPE equipments and stateful filters

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 12:15:11PM -0700, Dan Wing wrote:
> Passive-mode FTP (using the "PASV" verb) has been supported on
> all modern FTP clients and FTP servers for a long time (going on a
> decade for most FTP clients and FTP servers).  Passive-mode FTP
> causes the TCP data connection to be initiated by the FTP client (as
> is the TCP control connection), which eliminates the need for any ALG
> or ALG-like function in NATs and in firewalls.  Is there a reason
> passive FTP can't simply be mandated for v6, so we can avoid FTP-aware
> ALGs?

Correct me if I'm wrong - but you'll need "firewall support" for
PASV / EPSV ftp as well, just on the other side of the connection.

If you run your server behind a firewall (which is a pretty common thing
to do), and want to offer FTP services, the firewall needs to know which
port to open for PASV connections.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  113403

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279