Re: DHCP vs. RA... again.

On 3-aug-2007, at 20:52, james woodyatt wrote:

James - You're right, RAs would not be made obsolete. RAs would still be used to tell hosts to use DHCPv6; no prefixes or default router info would be included in RAs in this scenario.

Are the network operators who are expressing "the specific requirement" that their network not "depend on RA" willing to accept that they still need RA to signal nodes that DHCP is required for obtaining prefix information and default router addresses?

I would be interested in seeing some more details on their requirements/desires.

(I was under the impression that a default router address is implied as the source of the RA. That is the case, but setting a router lifetime of 0 indicates that the source of the router advertisement shouldn't be treated as a defaul router.)

Or, do they want RA deprecated completely? If they do, then I wouldn't like that.

Regardless of whether anyone likes it, such a change isn't deployable within a reasonable timeframe anyway.