Re: [69ATTENDEES] DHCP

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 03:59:06PM +0900, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> > We just don't want to run yet another service that could fail, needs
> > configuration, and possibly debugging if client machines are unhappy.
> >
> > Routers are there, so RAs are there anyway.  DHCP is an extra.
>
> 	just checking: so you are voting for adding DNS server address info
> 	into RAs?

This would solve one part of our remaining issues with IPv6 auto-
configuration, yes.  (The other part is "rouge RAs", which is not
that easy).

> 	i just do not want RA be a kitchen sink, so DHCPv6-lite is a good-
> 	enough compromise for me.  if you piggyback DNS server address info
> 	into RAs, you do need to configure the info into every routers you got.

Yep.

The alternative would be to have DHCPv6-lite servers *on the router*
(remember: extra machines need power, maintenance, and tend to break) - so
we'd need to configure this data on the routers anyway.

This is targeting SoHo networks - no dedicated servers, just client PCs
and a router.  In our environment, the router is normally manually
configured, so configuring more stuff on it would not be a problem.

In some scenarios, DHCP prefix delegation from a centralized management
server -> SoHo router, and from there RA / DHCPv6-lite -> clients would
also imaginable, but that's a different deployment scenario.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  122119

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279