From: Internet-Drafts@ietf.org
Date: 12 november 2007 14:50:02 GMT+01:00
To: i-d-announce@ietf.org
Subject: I-D Action:draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-00.txt

Title : Modified Network Address Translation - Protocol Translation
	Author(s)       : I. van Beijnum
	Filename        : draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2007-11-12

A smooth transition from IPv4 to IPv6 requires that either all hosts
are upgraded to dual stack before the first hosts can become IPv6-
only, or that there be some mechanism for IPv6-only hosts to talk to
IPv4-only hosts.  Current levels of dual stack deployment suggest
that expecting the former within a reasonable timeframe isn't
realistic, based on current adoption of dual stack combined with the
latest projections for the IPv4 depletion that point to a date early
in the next decade.  And the IETF has recently deprecated the main
mechanism that allows the latter: NAT-PT.
This document proposes modifications to NAT-PT that address the
reasons why the mechanism was deprecated in order to allow future
deployment of the modified NAT-PT as an IPv4-to-IPv6 transition
mechanism, giving operators the option to run their networks largely
IPv6-only.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-modified-nat-pt-00.txt