Re: new version of draft-narten-ipv6-3177bis-48boundary-03.txt

On Dec 4, 2007, at 12:11, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

So I'd like to see /60 for consumers and /48 for anyone who feels / 60 isn't enough.

FWIW, my ISP allocated me a /60 when I signed up for their IPv6 tunnel service (which I used to make sure the IPv6 "manual tunnel" feature in the AirPort Extreme base station worked properly). I'm using exactly two of the sixteen subnets this provides me. I don't expect to exhaust my /60 for as long as I live at my current address.

That said... I would *STRONGLY* advise against condoning the allocation of only one /64 per residential ISP customer site.

Why? Let me explain why I'm using two subnets and not one, and you can tell me what I should do if my ISP wants to charge me a flat fee per /64 allocation.

I have one subnet that has all my private services and home appliance devices. I have another subnet on an open 802.11 access point for my friends and houseguests with 802.11-enabled personal devices can get to the Internet at my house without me having to give them a WPA password that allows non-firewalled access to my whole private network. My private network has an RFC 1918 private address realm for IPv4, and its access to the Internet is through a NAT device. My guest network is in a different RFC 1918 private address realm, and its access to the Internet is through a differnent NAT device. Both of them are IPv6-enabled, and each has a different /64 subnet carved from the /60 allocated to me by my ISP.

If my ISP wants to charge me a fee for each /64 it allocates for me, and I can avoid that charge by using IPv6 NAT, then you get three guesses what I'm going to do. I expect you'll guess correctly the very first time.

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering