Re: v4 side unmodifiable

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
I don't think is a good idea to modify IPv4. It is the same difficulty than
having IPv6 in those boxes where the manufacturers aren't longer in the
market, they have no spare memory, or whatever.

And I believe is not good to make a difference between what is a server and
a client from this perspective. May be need to look into concrete examples,
but it is looking already for a solution too early ?

I think that, in order to ensure we find the solutions which can be deployed (easily, quickly, cheaply, etc.),
we need to identify three things:
- what can be done (on an element-by-element basis)
- what the required elements of a specific solution involve
- what the specific corner cases are in the problem space.

Here is an example of the problem space having a corner case:
If a content provider (who operates farms of servers, where the servers are commodity, new, and open source),
wants to provide content to IPv6-only sites, there is a real problem.

Even if the provider has IPv6 transit and a dual-stack infrastructure, there is a problem.

If the provider adds AAAA records, it can trigger a bad user experience from unintended sources (e.g. toredo hosts). These are not within the control of the content provider. The content provider is limited to solutions within its control.

So, that provider may actually *want* to have solutions from our solution space as options, and is likely willing to make
changes on the v4 *server* host to accomplish this.

It is an exception, of course, but a very important one for consideration, as the uptake of IPv6 depends on content being available, at no worse a quality of user experience as under IPv4 (for the same sites).

Brian Dickson
We should really focus in trying to make it in the hosts that are have an
IPv6 stack.

Regards,
Jordi