Re: VoIP peering & routing protocols (revisited)

At 7:19 PM +0300 on 4/19/05, Kalogiros Constantinos wrote:
Hello, I' m a PhD candidate interested in VoIP peering and new to this list.
I always thought that the main shortcoming of TRIP is lack of pricing information (resulting in poor selection criteria). If this is true, why providers don't employ H.323 based protocols (H.225.0 Annex G or H.501)?
I'd be thankful if you shared your thoughts with me.

Costas Kalogiros

I'll agree with both Randy and Richard and say that the complexity of TRIP perhaps outweighs it's usefulness, and the fact you mentioned that there are large numbers of "real-life" attributes that are missing from the spec makes most people hesitant to commit the effort into coding an open-source implementation that could expect wide-spread use. Chicken, egg.

I still hold the theory that if a well-written, complete, extended (QoS metrics, pricing information, authentication information), BSD-licensed version of the TRIP stack were produced or released, that it would gather more momentum than it has now, which currently hovers right around "absolutely none." Feel free to pester the guys at Acme Packet into releasing their TRIP stack as open-source, which I think would be an excellent start.

Another problem with TRIP's basic design is that it is championed as being "very similar to BGP." BGP assumes that routes are redistributed with path information to other peers. I think that in the IP telephony world, this model rests on the assumption that those entities which are exchanging route information don't mind if their peers see information about the actual endpoints. I think that most "carriers" want to disguise this information, so the TRIP model is already looking like a hub-and-spoke model instead of a mesh as far as the full routing knowledge database is concerned. (Let's say I'm Banzai Telegraph and Telephone, and I buy/exchange routes from/with Quince Telecom and I use TRIP as the protocol for exchange. In addition, Quince Telecom buys routes from Sprout Telecom. Realistically, Quince Telecom would never tell me (BTT) about the fact that a certain route was learned from Sprout Telecom - they would want to disguise that fact so that BTT would not circumvent QT and send traffic directly to Sprout.)

So, we're back to the model of clearinghouses, even if TRIP (and other protocols) emerge as methods for route exchange. Trust, authentication, and centralized control are still unfortunately very high on the list of requirements for any route exchange. If you're looking for a TRIP-like model, see the (open-source) Asterisk project's DUNDi protocol, which has some interesting concepts but is currently stunted by being exclusively integrated into the Asterisk call management system. DUNDi also has some of the same problems as TRIP, but at least is being implemented in what seems to be a real manner (though it also lacks the pricing and QoS metrics that I think are critical for carrier interconnection.)

JT